Thursday, March 18, 2010

Smiling Indians of Sumter County, South Carolina

"1910 the federal census listed 126 American Indians in Privateer Township, ... between Maxton and Rowland, where they became known as the Smiling Indians."

Indians of the Southeastern United States in the Late 20th Century - Page 76 - by James Anthony Paredes

GOINS v. INDIAN TRAINING SCHOOL

"I, LI Parrott, clerk of the court for Sumter County, said state, do hereby certify that the families of Smilings and Goins of this county have been known as "Red Bones" ever since I have been acquainted with the peopole. Mr. McDonald Furman, now deceased, took a great deal of trouble several years ago to establish the fact that they were...of the Indian race...they are looked upon as a separate race, neither white nor negro."

"I know William Goins, father of these parties. I visited them in South Carolina once about 6 years ago. The general reputation I got down there was that they were indian people. They were supposed to be indians. I have lived in robeson county all my life and i am perfectly familiar with the indian people up here. from my association, being in the home of old man goins and his family and from the investigation i have made of the people there, my opinion is that on the mother's side plaintiffs are indians and on the father's side malungeans. the rev william goins is not a typical indian by feature, he is a mixture between white and indian."

For more, including several newspaper articles written by McDonald Furman: Click Here.

2 comments:

  1. Dennis,

    I am a descendent of the Smiling Family. My name is Liz Cummings. My grandmother was Mattie Smiling Richardson. I am very interested in researching my families history. Can you suggest how I should begin my research? Your time would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached by email at: lizocummings@gmail.com.

    Thanks,

    Liz Oxendine Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work at the Sumter County Genealogical Center. I would love to have more information on the Smiling Indians of Sumter Co. I'm trying to build up the Native American section. Please email me back or you can call at work 803-774-3901. Amy Vaughn/ Archivist

    ReplyDelete