Thursday, December 10, 2009

Melungeon Myths: The Anatolian Bump

Much can be found on the Internet about Melungeons possessing something called the Anatolian bump, or more properly, an external occipital protuberance, or in plain English, a conspicuous bump on the back of the head. This has been cited as both evidence of Melungeon ancestry and as evidence of Melungeons having had Turkish origins.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Melungeon have not been shown to have been any more likely than other people to possess this bump, nor is the bump indicative of Anatolian origins, it being found to some degree throughout Europe and the world.

For more on this subject: Click Here.

6 comments:

  1. That's B.S. I'm Mulongeon descent and all our family has it. All the other Mulongeon families we know possess this bump also, The myth is olive skin n passed generations n those without it have a strawberry blonde hair to red hair but we can tan in the sun. So put that in your pipe n smokey ii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father's mother's people lived in Lee Co, VA, since after the Revolutionary War. They were the Orr family. Early on, one of Orr ancestors married a woman whose maternal line was Melungeon, in that her mother was Jane Ely, from the area. Since then, the Orr family, or at least my line of it, has had the Anatolian bump. I am very fair, though and burn easily. The Melungeon traits have come out in other family members, though. My paternal grandmother referred to having an uncle on the Orr side who was very swarthy (she called him "Old Black Joe.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add, my FT dna results indicate a very minute genetic link to Turkey, although I am mostly Celtic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am as confused as ever. I was born an raised in the deepest-darkest part of Appalachia. I have the so-called bump, was rather dark complected as a youth; of which, I have lost in adult hood. NO ONE on either my mom's or dad's family has the bump. Such a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Central and Western Asian as well as North African in my DNA results from when in the 14th through 16th centuries they would trade in the Mediterranean, which later brought the European Mediterranean traders in the 16th through 17th century... Mostly getting shipwrecked off the coast of the Atlantic. And yes I also carry broadly Western African from the slave trade. And yes I have the bump. You can even look at a side profile of Abraham Lincoln and see it clearly. Your research needs to be further explored.

    ReplyDelete