Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Will of Joseph Gibson - 1790

Will of Joseph Gibson - 1790
In the Name of God Amen, I Joseph Gibson Senior of Rockingham County in the State of North Carolina, being very sick and weak of body, but of perfect
mind and memory thanks be given unto God, calling unto mind the mortality of
my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and
ordain this my last Will and Testament that is to say principally and first
of all, I give and recommend my soul unto the hand of Almighty God that gave
it, and my body I recommend to the earth, to be buried in decent Christian
Burial at the discretion of my Executors nothing doubting but at the General
Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as
touching such worldly Estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this
life, I give, devisee and dispose of the same in the following manner and
form:

First I lend to my Dearly beloved wife, Elizabeth Gibson the Tract of Land
whereon I now live containing two hundred fifty nine acres to the same more
or less together with all my personal Estate of what kind so ever during her
natural life, and after her Death my Will and Desire is that my Executor or
Executrix shall sell the said Tract of two hundred & fifty nine acres of land
and all the remaining part of the said personal Estate and the monies to be
Equally divided between William Hand and part of Children to Wit, John
Gibson, Joseph Gibson, Joshua Gibson, Absolom Gibson, Hezekiah Gibson,
Elizabeth Gibson, Sarah Gibson and Thesney Gibson, to them and there Heirs
forever.

Secondly, I give and bequeath to my Daughter, Mary Field the Sum of two
pounds Current money.

Thirdly, I give and bequeath to my Daughter Ann Pratt the sum of Two pounds
Current money.

Fourthly, I give and bequeath to my Daughter Betty Williams the wife of
William Williams, the Sum of five Shillings Sterling Money.

Fifthly, I give and bequeath to my Son Randolph Gibson five Shillings
Sterling Money - to be paid them by my Executor or Executrix after the Death
of my Said wife Elizabeth.

Lastly, I appoint my two sons John Gibson, Joseph Gibson & my son in law John
Fields Executors of this my last Will & Testament revoking all former will by
me made ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my Last Will &
Testament. In Witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and Seal the
Twenty eighth Day of February in the Year of our Lord one Thousand Seven
Hundred and Ninety.

Signed Sealed Published, Pronounced and Declared by the Said Joseph Gibson,
Senior as his Last will and Testament in the presence of we who in his
presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto Subscribed our Names.
Allen David? (Dode?)
Christopher Hand Joseph Gibson (seal)
George Peay, Senior

ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, NC - WILLS - Index, Rockingham Co. N.C. Will Bk.

No comments:

Post a Comment