Friday, November 21, 2008

Patricia Hopkins-Baldwin, 1957-2008

It saddens me to announce the passing last Sunday of Patricia Ann Hopkins-Baldwin, a long-time Melungeon researcher and Melungeon Section Editor for the Appalachian Quarterly. She is survived by her husband Randy Baldwin, and she will be missed.

Twelve years ago Patricia Hopkins-Baldwin wrote a short piece talking about her memories of her great grandmother which is not only interesting in its own right but captures something of her spirit and of her life's work:

"In searching for my Melungeon roots, I have uncovered some good things and some disturbing. The good things were the memories that I have as a child, talking with and listening to my great grandmother speak of her family. She was the grand daughter of Hezekiah and Martha Cottle Wyatt. I remember her speaking of the way that her family did things, their lifestyle, hobbies, etc...

"One of the things that sticks out in my mind is that my great grandmother, Cynthia Ann, was a gifted jewelry maker. She worked with silver, gold and precious stones. I wear an opal and gold ring that she made for me when I was a child. I also have an opal filigreed necklace to match. I wasn't aware until the research that I've been doing on the Melungeon people that a known trait of theirs to work with silver and other metals. And this was exciting to me, bringing me one step closer to the truth about my family although, throughout my paternal side of the family there are Native American origins and I know that jewelry making is a practice of their's too. It's just with the now known traditions and practices of the Melungeon people that I lean more toward this heritage.

"Another thing that Cynthia Ann did was make almost all of the medicinal preparations. And keep alive the 'old ways' that went with them. For instance, she always wore charms (i.e. a 'medicine' bag) around her neck. It was filled with herbs, powders and what ever else she may have 'needed' to cure someone of an ailment. I know that this is also Cherokee or Native American practice. Her medicinal practices were sought by many. She was somewhat of the local 'healer'. I remember times when I was sick as a child that she would have me drink a mixture of whatever was in her 'bag of tricks'. This always seemed to make me feel better. One time in particular I was suffering with Bronchitis and was very ill. My Mother had taken me to the Doctor and the antibiotics he prescribed weren't working, as I grew sicker. I was taken to Cynthia Ann and she prepared for me a concoction of her herbs. And--passed me under a raspberry bush several times! I remember this very distinctly because it was in the 'dead' of winter and cold! I don't know if it was a combination of the herbs and the passing under of the raspberry bush or just plain faith but this made me better. Within a few days I was well. At the point of my sickest the doctor wanted to put me into the hospital and feared the worse. But my great grandmother made me well.

"A little background of my great grandmother's family is as follows.

1. CYNTHIA ANN BROWN B. DEC.25 1874 MORGAN CO., KY.
2. DANIEL BOONE BROWN B. CA. 1849 MORGAN CO., KY.
3. FAIRLENA WYATT B. CA. 1850 MORGAN CO. KY.
4. HEZEKIAH WYATT B. CA. 1817 N.C. (I don't know where)
5. MARTHA COTTLE B. CA. 1823 N.C. (I don't know where)

"Much research has yet to be done on this branch of my family. I am always searching for 'leads' into piecing together my family history. It seems as if the farther back I try to go the more obstacles I come across. From the censuses to court records to family recollections. But I persevere. And will piece this beautiful family quilt of memories all together someday."

Patricia A. Hopkins-Baldwin, 1996

To view some of her family photos, including one of her great grandmother Cynthia Ann: Click Here.

3 comments:

  1. Patty was a great person and will be missed by all.

    Brad Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom was a wonderful person and is missed every day! Things I come across such as this article is wonderful to find. I always try and keep things like this to show to her grandchildren when they're older so they know how great of a person my Mom was. Through things like this, keeps my Mom's memory alive and helps me explain to my 5 year old little girl and my 1 year old little boy what kind of person my Mom was. We miss her every day and thank you for still keeping this article posted.

    Francesca Matson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty was my sister-in-law and friend. She was a very special person who respected everyone and had great love for her family.She was a "DOVE" and did not like harm coming to any living thing. She is sadly missed.

    Linda Baldwin

    ReplyDelete